Feelin' Genki

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I'm a Fast Dog

I love McSweeney's. The quarterly and the online version, not to mention their wonderful compilation books, consistenly make me burst out in laughter whenever I read them. McSweeney's is at least as clever and funny as The Daily Show With Jon Stewart or The Onion but slightly more subtle and eccentric.

On one of Jeff's posts (Hi Jeff! Genki desu ka?), he thoughtfully linked to an article called Comments Overheard at a Brainstorming Meeting between Ted Nugent and the Editors for Gourmet Magazine Where They Were Discussing the Upcoming Book Gourmet Magazine's Vegan Cooking With Ted Nugent. I found it funny, but I know who Ted Nugent is and my wife was vegan for years.

Of course, when I think of McSweeney's, I think of when I bought a book for my sister for Christmas several years ago. After everyone had gone to bed, the three of us sat up drinking wine and reading sections aloud. It must have taken us an hour to read Dave Eggers' series of letters written to CEOs from the point of view of a dog named Steven. I was laughing so hard I was weeping and the tears were making it impossible to see. As far as memories go, that one of three well-educated and literate people incapable of reading more than a few words at a time is a pretty good one.

2 Comments:

Blogger LaurieD said...

OMG that's funny! Thanks for giving me yet another way to avoid work.

12:35 PM

 
Blogger sugah said...

i love steven, and remember him well. man, could he bark! and he really is a fast fucking dog. also, i always meant to tell you that i discovered that the author of that story, supposedly one daniel o'mara, was actually mr. dave eggers himself. just a stray fact for you. here's some more evidence: http://www.phaxda.com/eggers/mcifier.html

2:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home