Feelin' Genki

Monday, October 24, 2005

T for Tiberius

As we wander through the mysterious pathways of the internet we find things that amuse, shock, and amaze us. Some people forward that same joke to everyone in their address book, thus beginning the dreaded Fw:Re:Fw:Re: cycle. Others just babble about it on their blogs.

To wit, I read Wil Wheaton's blog and am a big fan. (At present his regular blog is on emergency protocols and he writes at WWdN in Exile.) Recently he talked about one of those "Which SciFi/Fantasy character are you?" personality tests available over at tk421.net. TK 421, as you are no doubt aware, is the designation of one of the stormtroopers who gets his uniform jacked by Han and Luke when they first arrive on the Death Star. I figured that knowing this piece of information qualified me to take the test so I did.

Which Fantasy/SciFi Character Are You?

An impassioned commander with more respect for individuals than for authority, you have a no-holds-barred approach to life and its obstacles.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.


I suppose I should be flattered, but I personally prefer Picard. I went back and changed a few of my borderline answers and got... Wesley Crusher! Yay for us geeks! Then again, I suppose that trying to rig my own answers to produce a desired result was a little Kirk-like. Kobayashi Maru, anyone?

I also spent some time on Jonathan Coulton's site and learned to play along with him singing the poignant and heartfelt lyrics to Baby Got Back. Hey, you can buy his stuff at iTunes! How cool is that?

Continuing on my surfing, I found What Tian Has Learned - she learned about The Notorious MSG - three awesome rappers from New York's Chinatown and their stunning video, Straight Outta Canton. (Tian also has those two guys and their hilarious Backstreet Boys thing.)

Do we see a theme here? Yeah, they're funny but they do it so well. And the songs really seem like they have a deeper meaning. Anyway, the possibilities are endless. Here's a quick off-the-top-of-my-head list of songs in the same vein:

The Gourds - Gin & Juice
Travis - Hit Me Baby One More Time
Dread Zeppelin - Everything they've ever done
Hayseed Dixie - Ditto. In black.
Me First & The Gimmie Gimmies - listening to Rocketman right now

I could go on for days. Danny Michel did an album of David Bowie covers that rocks. Luther Wright & The Wrongs redid Pink Floyd's The Wall in its entirety. I think I'll go put it on now.

Speaking of babies, I hear mine. So much surfing, so little work done. End babble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home